Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader from Haryana, Professor Ganeshi Lal has been appointed the new Governor of Odisha.
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Prof. Lal to the post on Friday (May 25).
A press communique issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan at 8.35 pm on May 25, read: “The President of India has been pleased to appoint Prof. Ganeshi Lal to be the Governor of Odisha with effect from the date he assumes charge of his office.”
The post of Odisha Governor was handled additionally by Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik since March 21 after veteran Naga leader S.C. Jamir completed his tenure.
Here are 10 things to know about new Odisha governor Prof Ganeshi Lal:
1. Prof. Lal is a BJP leader from Sirsa constituency of Haryana.
2. He is a former chief of BJP’s Harayana unit.
3. The veteran leader is presently the Chairman of BJP’s Disciplinary Committee.
4. From 1996-1999, he had served as the food and supplies minister in the Haryana Vikas Party (HVP)-BJP government under the then chief minister Bansi Lal in Harayana.
5. He debuted in politics as an activist of BJP’s patron party Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
6. Before joining politics, Prof. Ganeshi Lal was a professor of Mathematics.
7. His appointment as the new Governor of Odisha came under severe criticism with the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) alleging the appointment as “politically motivated”.
BJD spokesperson Pratap Deb told media, “Doubts are natural in everyone’s mind about the new Governor’s appintment.”
8. The Congress too countered Prof. Lal’s appointment. Senior party leader Suresh Routray told media, “An RSS member has been appointed Governor. I have my doubts. (Narendra) Modi is doing injustice.”
9. Ganeshi Lal is the 46th Governor of Odisha.
10. He will take oath as the new Odisha Governor on Tuesday (May 29).